Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A New PR & New After Running 'High'?

Thursday, December 31st - My roommate and I went and did the Race Into The New Year! It was a little bit more than a little chilly on New Year's Eve, but we're both single and we both love to run - so we did what we do best! Because of the conditions, Runners World changed the course a little bit and shortened it from a 5K to just a 2 mile run, but it was fun. They handed out champagne along the course, and I think my roomie Tad, was the first one to grab some. They shot fireworks off and then afterwards, they had soup, cookies, more champagne, beer, all goodies. And lots of NOISEMAKERS too.
That night, Tad and I ran to the race and then ran from the race back to our car. So...4.02 @ 9:56 average pace. That's a REALLY good pace for me, considering we were having to walk across the wooden bridge during the race.

Friday, January 1st 2010 - Long run day! A 20 miler was the plan. In my book, on my schedule, so with 8.5 hours of sleep, oatmeal and lots of layers on - Tad and I headed out. I should have known that it was going to be weird, because he was acting funny. About mile 3, he tells me that he's lightheaded. So I ask if he drank coffee like he always does. "No, I'm trying to cut back." NOT THIS MORNING YOU'RE NOT! So we run over to Kum & Go on Peoria and get him some coffee, Snickers and Power Bar while I use the restroom. We trot back to Riverside and continue until the trail stops (about 56th STILL) and then turn around and run back up to Southwest Boulevard.
We're at mile 10 and drinking water and he tells me that he's done for the day.
-"Get your ass over here and let's get going!" I yell at him.
-"No, really, I'm not feeling this. I'm just going to go home."
I could have KILLED him. I ask/tell him, "How far is the house from here?"
-"About 7."
-"Alright, see you there!"

I was NOT a happy camper, but I resumed my happy trot, knowing I was only a little over half done and started thinking that I didn't want to just run right back down Riverside, where I had JUST come from, so at the pedestrian bridge, I went west and then followed it up to Cherry Street and took Cherry Street to Brookside and from there went to the frontage road that goes in front of our house. With that added, I had to run around my neighborhood for a little over a mile, and I really had to talk to myself. I was so close, I kept thinking, I cannot stop now. I maintained an awesome pace until I got to the park around my house at mile 18.5-19. The park was icy and snow covered so I had to slow down so much and I was simply just exhausted too, so that didn't help.
20 miles at a 10:37 pace was what the final outcome was. I was VERY proud of that.

Afterwards though, was very tough. I got up the steps to our house and could barely bend down to take my shoes off. I had Tad start a bath for me with some epsom salt and I went in there for about 20 minutes. I've been getting chaffing really bad under my sports bra (which never used to happen), but I'm going to have to remember to put something on there now. I just relaxed and was exhausted. I could barely pull myself out of the tub when it was time to dry off. And then all I wanted to eat was bread.
Bread is not something I typically keep in the house, because I don't really use it. But Tad had gotten some ciabatta bread from work and all I wanted was some warm from the oven with a little olive oil and sea salt. I made myself make some protein and vegetables, but I really just sat on the couch with my little loaf of bread and felt like a homeless person. Not energy, cold, wet, tired, picking at my bread and just letting the pieces dissolve in my mouth. *shakes head*
I felt very old, even when I went to the coffeehouse that night. I remember hearing a couple guys talking about how everyone looked so tired because the night before was New Year's Eve. I really wanted to tell them that how I looked had NOTHING to do with the night before, but with the 20 miles that I had just pounded into the pavement with the legs that I was still standing on (and in heels...well, heeled boots!). But I didn't. I ate my chocolate chip butterscotch cookie in silence (only get to visit the coffeeshop after long runs....otherwise, I love their sweets way too much).

The rest of the week...is still to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment